Friday, April 13, 2007

Bull Run Run 50 mile preview

Spring in Virginia and the Bluebells blooming means it's time again for the Bull Run Run. It can also mean mud, and fickle weather.Here I am in 2005 acknowledging the cheers of all my fans as I come into the Fountainhead Park Aid Station. Thats Janet Vincent right behind me. This was the first time I met her. It got quite warm that year and there was a lot of mud. Last year was even muddier and a cold front moved in and some folks were dealing with hypothermic conditions. So what will we have this year? Looks like it might be a tough one with a high of maybe 50F and rain in the afternoon.
2005 was the only time I have run the race. I was training for MMT and had just paced 37.5 miles the weekend before so I wasn't expecting to run very well. I was actually feeling good early on and running with Graham and Dru for a while. Graham and I stuck together for 15 miles or so and then he pulled ahead. I was really struggling the last 15 miles and had to sit along the riverside several times trying to pull myself together and get my stomach settled so I could get some gels into me. Finally started feeling good the last 5 miles. I'm looking forward to a much better performance this year.
This event was the reason the VHTRC was founded and the club does a great job making it one of the premier 50 milers in the country. I look forward to seeing a lot of my Happy Trails friends this weekend. You can check out the race website here

No comments: