Thursday, February 08, 2007

Holiday Lake volunteering

Back in February of 2002 I ran my first ultra at David Horton's Holiday Lake 50K. I had a great time and enjoyed my introduction into the sport. I returned to run the next two years but never came close to running the time of my debut. Other races and goals have prevented me from running since 2004 but because it was my first I don't like to be a way from the event. Therefore I have made the drive up to Va. to help and hang out with friends the past two years. David assigned me to aid station duties both years.
Last year was quite the adventure as the race started in a cold rain that quickly turned to heavy snow. I was in charge of aid station #1 and we barely had things ready when the first runners began coming through. Finally we got a tarp set up and spent the rest of the day trying to stay warm. The trails and dirt roads became a muddy mess and vehicles were having a tricky time getting around to access the crew points. It was fun watching the runners come through the last time covered in mud and snow.
I'll be heading back up again this weekend and do whatever it is David needs me too. Maybe trail sweep this time? I look forward to seeing everyone there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job at Rocky Raccoon! A friend of mine ran it but had to drop at 80 miles. He and some other friends from Maryland will be running Holiday Lake - I hope you all have good weather.

runjoey said...

Thanks Caren,

I wish I was racing at Holiday LAke. It looks like it will be a good day and the course will probably be in better shape than the last time I ran it. But, I must rest and recover.