Saturday, January 17, 2009

Finally a little hope.

 So how have things been going the past couple of weeks in this new year you may ask?

 Well, I am happy to say that my legs have felt better this week than they have in over a year. Since that test run on New Years Day with Laura, I have been out running 5 more times and it just keeps getting better. I was amazed at how much better I felt a week after that first run compared to how I was huffing and puffing at 10 mp. After just a few 4 mile runs I was running as fast as I usually do if not faster for those short runs. Last Saturday I met Karla for a 10 miler and that went very well and was pain-free. However the next day I was in pain behind my left knee !! What's that all about !?! I was limping around at work Sunday and Monday. By Tuesday it was better and I had a massage that afternoon that helped a lot. We think it was just muscular, no joint problem caused by the weakness in the hamstring from the injury. I rested it until Thursday and then went for a 4 mile run at Lake Johnson. I was almost afraid to run but after a few steps I felt no pain and it ended up being a great run with no problems afterwards.

  I've also gotten on the bike trainer 3 times the past week.  I started with 20 minutes and then 30 minutes the next two times. That went well also. This summer it didn't hurt the hamstrings to pedal the bike but they would be stiff and painful when I got off so I hadn't ridden since mid autumn. There was no pain and tightness afterwards which is a very good thing because I have many hours to put in the saddle over the next 6 months to get ready for the 112 miles I'll have to ride at Ironman Cour D' Alene .

  The swimming is also continueing to go well. I'm still in the pool about 3 times a week and usually swimming at least 2,00yds, or about 1.2 miles each workout. Somedays I do a long continuous swim. On other days I may do a pyramid workout and somedays I do just 100 and 200 yd intervals. Last week I lowered my mile pr once  again to 34:47 and yesterday I did a 100yd time trial in 1:36 which is about 6 seconds faster than ever. Not bad for an old runner.

No comments: