Thursday, January 18, 2018

training, yoga, snow and rambling update 1-18-18

 So how is the new year going so far?

 I'm snowed in at the moment,with about 6 inches  on the ground and with the temperature at 14F  its solid ice right now but I hoped to get out for a few miles with the screwed shoes later.

 The running hasn't been hitting on much so far this year. Right now as of the 18th I've only put 28 miles in the log. Partly due to being a wimp about the below normal temperatures this year and partly due to  extra work and a big part due to just lacking motivation which I think is related to just being worn down after Rocket City last month. I'm taking a positive attitude toward this and looking at it as nice recovery period. I know from the 40 years of experience that when the time comes for a big push the body will respond. The great thing about this is I haven't missed a chunk of time due to injury and I haven't shut it completely down. In the past couple of weeks although the mileage is down I have had some good quality workouts.

 I also had my 2nd yogaversary on the 8th. Yep, two years ago when Laura finally got me into yoga and as most of you know its a huge part of my life now with Bikram Hot yoga at least 4 days a week , sometimes 5 or 6 and for over a year now I've been doing the yin yoga 5 or 6 days a week. I've recently added one or two vinyasa classes in the mix but missed all of last week with that.  Its amazing and sometimes exciting to see and feel the changes in my body, doing things I never thought possible. And I'm  excited to know there is so much more to come but more importantly how it improves my quality of life outside the studio.

 I had fallen off with the body weight fitness stuff for about 3 months when I had a shoulder strain but had worked myself back up to near normal levels again until last week when I hyper-extended my right elbow. I can still do my yoga and most other things but pullups and dips put too much pressure on it right now. Hopefully that will be resolved soon. Gotta keep those muscles !

 So that's about it. I'm ready to start ramping up the mileage now to prepare for a great Spring of racing. Just one race coming up on the 28th this month. More on that later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the yogaversary!