Saturday, January 28, 2017

Training update January 2017

It's been awhile since I've done a training update with no racing since Mid December so I guess I should give my followers an idea whats going on.

 To start with its all going very well ! Yes, when you consider a year ago I missed practically all of January injured this year is starting off a whole lot better.

 Too much to give you the everyday training log but with a couple of days to go in the month I am on pace to have my highest mileage month in well over a year. I expect I'll finish with around 160 to 170 miles. This is still a lot less than i was doing a few years ago but I have so much other stuff happening I'm not really concerned. And with the lower mileage I am still running as well and in some ways better than I was in the last decade.

  I have only had one run in about 3 months other than the marathon in December that my average pace was above 9 minutes per mile and that was a hilly run in Umstead on ice. It used to be just days with hard workouts that I would ever dip below 9's and now most runs are 8:40's average !!

 I had taken a break from speedwork after finishing my Fall racing  and focusing on consistency and building the mileage but I have an important 5k coming up in 2 weeks so a couple of weeks ago I started back. It's like I never stopped. One the first track workout I was dead on the pace I set for my goal with no problem. Certainly a nice confidence boost and I'm eager to get into the Spring racing season and see what happens. More on that later.

 As far as the other training things are really going great. I'm still averaging 4 x 90 minute Bikram Hot Yoga classes per week and now for the past couple of months I've been adding ion more stretching and easy yoga. It began with a couple of sessions a week but for most of the this year its become an almost daily thing to do at least 30 minutes and more often 45 minutes to an hour. It's a great way to do something productive when I would normally just be sitting in the recliner being lazy and it doesn't take much if any energy to do it.

 And I haven't quit with the rest of my routine. I'm still lifting weights twice a week and doing my body weight workouts another 2 or 3 days a week.

 Thats enough for now. I've had some ideas for other things I want to share here but just been really busy with work and life and I would rather be doing my workouts than talking about them !

No comments: