Thursday, March 29, 2012

Me and Umstead. Part 6. 2005 through 2011

After completing the race in 2004 I went ahead and did the Lynchburg Ultra Series as well as another full schedule of Triathlons over the summer months. by 2005 I was a committed ultrarunner and had lost interest in the he tri's so when the 2005 Umstead rolled around I was eager to be there to volunteer for the entire weekend, enjoying spending the time with friends and meeting new ones. This would also be the first year I would be a pacer following a day of helping at the aid station. I had a wonderful weekend and would continue doing this for the 2006 and 2007 races.

Unfortunately I spent most of the months preceding the 2008 race with a lot of pain which began with a really dumb move, not running in early 2007. The dumb running part was racing and racing through the pain. I was not able to mentally or physically prepare for the race but was hoping to at least be able to finish. Jenn was running in her first 100 and I was really hoping to stay with her as long as possible but early in lap two it became obvious I was not having a good day and had to let her go. te day ended up with a DNF at mile 69. If you are really bored you can read that report here.

I had written a long personal report but it disappeared into cyberland so I wrote this shorter one here.

In 2009, 2010 and 2011 I returned as a volunteer and pacer for the weekend again. 2010 was especially nice because I got to run the last lap with Jenn as she set a pr with a 21:55 ish finish. Karla was pacing her too so that made it extra special.

No comments: