Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Running 24 hours for Breast Cancer Research

The weekend of Sept 30th/Oct 1st I will be participating in the Hinson Lake 24 hour race in Rockingham NC. The race is being directed by Tom Gabell, a member of the Mangum Track Club of which I am a member. Recently Mike Day suggested that I solicit pledges for my fund raising efforts for Cancer research. As many of you know I tied some of my Spring ultra's to fund raising to benefit the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life, and also the Susan G. Komen Foundation's Race for the Cure in honor of my training partner Karla Werner. The photo is from the RFTC in June. That is our friend Jerry running with us.
For those of you new to the story, you can find the background information in my story "Dreams Can Come True" located on this blog. First let me give you an update on Karla. As of today she has 5 more weeks remaining in chemotherapy. That will be followed by 6 weeks of radiation. She is hoping that her Doctors will allow her to take a break in between so that she can run/walk the Outer Banks Marathon on Nov. 12th. I will be by her side the whole time just as we were together at Boston. If she has the strength and courage to do it, then I will be there to support her. We just ran the Stanley Cup 5k last Sunday and she did well. I was so proud of her.


This photo was taken there. That is her husband Frank who also ran with us.

Which brings me back to the fundraising. All proceeds will go to the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center's Patient and Family Resource Center. These are the people that have been taking care of Karla's treatments. If you click on the title of this story it will take you to the UNC-LCCC website.
I hope that all of you reading this will consider making a contribution. I do plan to run over 100 miles in this race so keep that in mind. .10 cents a mile or $1 per mile, any amount would be welcome. And if it will help you decide to give, I will be proudly wearing Pink in the race. I invite everyone that is in the area to come down and watch some of the race and run some with me. All checks should be made out to UNC-LCCC. Earmark the funds to go to the Patient and Family Resource Center. You can e-mail me and I will give you my address. just click on my profile at the top of the blog and it will show you my e-mail. For those of you that can't find it in your heart to contribute to anything with UNC in front of it, I will also accept contributions to the Komen Foundation. Thank You for helping in the fight against breast cancer and helping me to honor my friend .

No comments: