Monday, January 01, 2018

Clarity

 And just like that the fog has lifted and I can see clearly what my goals are for the next 16 months.


Of course this came to me in the middle of my 9 mile run on Saturday. The plans I had considered for the remainder of the Winter and Spring just weren't making much sense and beyond July I was clueless but now I know exactly what I want and I can go about planning the training and other events that will help in achieving these goals. I began to do a little research Saturday night and again Sunday and this morning I was ready to discuss it all with the #1 fan and inspirational advisor. She thinks its a great plan !

 Goal #1 really hasn't changed and that is to try my best to win the Senior Grandmaster division in the 40th Running Journal Grand Prix which started in August and continues until Memorial Day .  What has changed is some plans I had in between which would have left me without the time and energy to focus on each race in the series which would mean I couldn't be in top form and I really have to be to compete against some really strong runners I expect to face. So the marathon which I didn't mention to anyone but the #1 fan is off the table for Feb. now. I just don't have time to properly prepare and it would have taken away from my prep for March's big half marathon in Memphis. I also made a firm decision not to try and race Myrtle Beach the week before the Memphis race so I can be at 100%. It would be silly to waste the time , effort and money just to wear myself down before the big race which I have a shot at winning and gives 25 bonus points !

  The next Big change is no Ultras in April. Nope Ultraman is not coming back for awhile . Still some wiggle room in the Fall plans so maybe a 50k if I can find one that meets the criteria and can be a boost for the ultimate goal but we're getting a little ahead  here.

 So no ultras in April but I am planning on a marathon. Right now I'm 99% sure it will be the Toledo Marathon on 4-22. That will give me plenty of time to sensibly build up my mileage and some recovery time after Memphis and then about 6 weeks to prepare for the last race in the GP , the Cotton Row Run 10k on May 28th. And of course the reason for the marathon is to get a Boston Qualifier ! I looked at several races in a couple of weeks span  from the end of March and end of April and Toledo seems the perfect fit. A relatively flat and fast course, good weather probability and at 1,500 runners about the perfect size field.  Great reviews for the event and the timing is about perfect to squeeze it in with my other plans.

 Which brings us to the ultimate goal in case you haven't figured it out.  Be in the best shape possible for a strong race at Boston in 2019 ! I'll detail that story much more in the future but for now lets just go with I really should have a sub 4 at Boston and I would really like to get in the 3:40 to 3:45 neighborhood. At least. After the end of May and the Grand
Prix I'll have over 10 months to focus my training and racing on being in the best possible marathon shape I can be. Now I'm excited !!!

No comments: