Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Grande Experiment Two. Continues !

  The GE 2 began last summer with the plan to qualify for Boston at Tobacco Road Marathon along with Amy while still training for a 50 mile pr in January. I got the pr but the BQ attempt didn't go as planned for either of us. That however doesn't mean that it's over. No, not by a long shot. With the past 3 years having my best mileage ever and my training with Amy going so well the past several months I am more excited than ever to push on with pr attempts at both the marathon and 100 miles in the next few months !

 A lot of the future plans are still up in the air at this point but Amy and I are both committed to attaining our goals. A few things are certain though. I am going for the 100 mile pr in 4 weeks at the C&O Canal 100 in Maryland and in June I will be running the Bighorn 100 in Wyoming to get a Western States qualifier. And I plan to go for at least a BQ if not a marathon pr at the Wineglass Marathon in Corning NY on Oct.6th. What I attempt will be determined on how the training goes.

 As I have said before, I seem to run my best ultras off of solid, fast marathon training and thats what I will continue to do. The only thing I will do differently for the 100's will be to add a weekly run/walk for the next few weeks and then after C&O I will be adding more single track leading up to Bighorn. I learned that lesson by not running trails enough before Oil creek last October. Otherwise, in the meantime it will be more of the type of stuff that got us ready for the MB half where Amy shattered her pr. Hills, intervals, tempo and pace work.

 Of course the last two week running wise have been mostly recovery. I took it real easy the first week after the marathon and gradually built up the miles and ended up with 50 for the second week capped off by a strong 20 miler in Umstead. And that was in a crazy cross-training week too but I'll give more detail about that in another post.

 Stay tuned !

No comments: