Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Weymouth Woods 100K Preview



Woohoooo !. I'm ready to start off my racing for 2012. It's been 7 weeks since my last race and I'm raring to go. I've spent the last several weeks getting in a lot of miles of good training so I feel well prepared for the challenge.

This is the 3rd year for the race which is held at Weymouth Woods- Sandhills Nature Preserve near Southern Pines NC. I used to train here occasionally back in the 80's and early 90's so when I heard that Marie Lewis from the Mangum track Club was going to put on the race I was hoping to get a chance to run in it. It didn't fit my schedule the first two years but I made sure to plan on it this year.

The course is 14 laps of a 4.4 mile course mostly on single track with some sections with lots of roots and some sand. No long climbs but several shorter steep hills make it a challenging course. I had a fantasy time goal of 12:30 but after scouting out the course a few months ago I think that may be truly a fantasy. The race is a qualifier for the Western States 100 and the time needed for that is 14:00. I think that is well within my capabilities at this time but 62 miles is a long way and a lot can happen. But, this is a race and I am planning to go as fast as I can. Perhaps I should take it easy and just try to get the qualifier but I will have at least two other chances in 100 milers later in the year so It's going to be all out for this one. Yeah, it''s going to make it hurt more but when it's over I'll know I gave it my best and be happy with whatever time that may be.

Several friends will be in attendance and I am looking forward to sharing some miles with some of them. Stay tuned for a race report ad pictures soon.

Here is the race website.

No comments: